Death toll in Hualien train crash revised to 49: prosecutors

Taipei-The Hualien District Prosecutors Office on Sunday finalized its count of the number of deaths in a Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) train accident in the county on April 2, revising previous number to 49 from 50 after all human remains were identified.

Certificates of the bodies have been handed out to all family members of the victims, including one French national and two American nationals, said Hualien chief prosecutor Chou Fang-yi (???).

The office had listed 50 deaths previously because there were remains it could not identify, but now the problem was solved after thorough DNA examinations, Chou said.

The No. 408 Taroko Express train, which had set off from Shulin Station in New Taipei at 7:16 a.m., was bound for Taitung County in southeastern Taiwan, carrying 494 passengers and a crew of four, according to the TRA.

It hit a crane truck fallen on to the track near the entrance to the Qingshui Tunnel, leading to a severe derailment that also left more than 200 passengers injured.

Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel